Article & Images by Stephanie Litzenberger: CB South HS Senior
The city of water is one place I will truly never forget. From its enchanting waterways, to its magical gondola rides late at night, Venice gave me an experience that I’ll always cherish. Here is what you need to do when you go to this wonderland!
1. Gelatos, gelatos, gelatos! Try every flavor while you’re there because no matter what, it’ll be absolutely delicious.
2. Get lost in the city for the day- My brothers and I got lost in it, just taking random turns here and there, and ended up seeing the true beauty of the place.
3. Get lunch at St. Mark’s Square- jam packed with people nearly all the time, but the buildings, which are all a part of St. Mark’s Basilica are stunning works of art as they dominate the square.
4. Get your gondola ride at night- The gondoliers know how to show the most stunning parts of Venice at night, and are able to show you the parts of Venice you wouldn’t naturally see.
5. The Rialto Bridge- Lined with shops and restaurants, the Rialto Bridge is one of the few bridges that allow you to walk over the Grand Canal, and it’s beautiful to look out at the Canal when you’re standing on it.
6. Murano glass- No matter what shop you go in, I highly urge to buy some type of jewelry or crafted piece made of murano glass. Venice is one of the few places that makes the special glass, and each piece in the stores is absolutely beautiful.
My best advice is don’t have your days planned out when visiting any foreign country, but especially with Venice,
because it’s truly a city that you need to experience, and not force the culture. You need to explore and divulge
yourself in the culture through your own abilities, and meet the people in your own way.
**WARNING: many, many pick-pocketers so be careful!!***